Patrick at Mt. Baldy, May 19, 2023

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Patrick arrived in California on Wednesday and of course had to see Baldy since it was still open. Saturday May 20 will be its last day and it was easy to see why. We probably got to the Notch at 9:45 to this view of Thunder Mt.
IMG_2538.JPG

The snow patch in foreground is left over from the tubing park and we were able to ski 60 vertical feet down it. But the Beginner Gulch had lost all of its snow.
IMG_2546.JPG

That walk was about 150 vertical. You can see a clean line of snow coming out of Emile's, but the bottom of Skyline is no longer skiable.

Riding chair 3 we see a skier about to walk out of the second severed part of lower Robin's.
IMG_2548.JPG

HIgher up Shortcut feeding Robin's is still wall to wall snow.
IMG_2553a.JPG

The Fire Road is still covered in the background.

Zoomed view of 10,000 foot Baldy peak.
IMG_2556.JPG

At lower center the light green square is the roof of the mountaineering hut. I day hiked from San Antonio Falls to it in the summer of 2011.

Here is where Skyline becomes unskiable.
IMG_2557.JPG

In the background is the top of chair 2 and a strip of snow leading from there about halfway to the Notch.

I directed Patrick skier's right into Tortilla Flats and lower Emile's.
IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

Patrick on Emile's:
IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

And on Shortcut:
IMG_2585.JPG

After the run turns left, here's the diminishing snow on lower Robin's.
IMG_2586.JPG

Patrick on an Emile's variation skier's right through some trees:
IMG_2593.JPG

After some inconvenient sleepless travel Patrick did not take well to the altitude and relaxed at the top of Thunder for awhile.
IMG_2595.JPG

Despite no overnight freeze I did not sink in the snow, and with Baldy's pitch gravity overcame any stickiness. I did not find it to be excessively high effort skiing and thus did a couple of nonstop runs and most others with one or two stops for pictures.

On our final run we skied the Fire Road to Goldridge. View back to Thunder from the Fire Road.
IMG_2596.JPG

Shortcut is center left and Robin's trees are dead center. Robin's trees was one of the runs I skied while Patrick was taking a break.

The Fire Road ran out of snow just before the hairpin turn so we had to walk about 30 feet to get into Goldridge. But I knew from its sheltered exposure than Goldridge would be adequately covered.
IMG_2598.JPG

Patrick on steepest lower pitch of Goldridge:
IMG_2605.JPG

Where I'm standing was almost the end of the snow. I skied 10,900 vertical and walked back up through the tubing park to the Notch.

Patrick walked down to chair 2 and rode it up. He skied about 5,000 vertical. In terms of snow conditions and occasionally having to walk across gravel/dirt between snow patches, Patrick has seen much worse than this. But those other places have not involved sleeping near sea level and skiing above 8,000 feet.

Last edited:
This was the fourth time I've skied Baldy near the end of spring operations, and this time was the skimpiest in terms of available terrain.

May 1, 2020 was two days before closing. Lower Skyline was burned off but Robin's, Bonanza and the Beginner Gulch were covered.

April 20, 2019 was one day before closing and most similar to yesterday except Skyline was continuously skiable. Baldy had more employees then so they drove customers in a truck from the Notch to the base of Thunder.

The big El Nino of 1998 was on a completely different level. I skied May 31 and the majority of Thunder was still covered. I even skied South Bowl though I had to walk most of the way back to the lift. The highlight was the backside run. For $20 I got a ride up chair 4, then skied 2,000 vertical of pristine corn into Lytle Creek and Baldy drove people back to the Notch in a truck. Baldy ran one more week and closed June 7.

I suspect that Patrick timed his visit to coincide with some concert in the LA region. Or maybe he's there to watch the Lakers lose their playoff series to the Nuggets.

From that lineup: Iggy Pop, Gary Numan, Squeeze, and Billy Idol are the ones I like.
Gang of Four tops that lineup for me. Entertainment! is one of my all-time favorite albums. IMHO it’s one of those rare perfect albums. It never gets old, never ceases to surprise me on close listening, and it never fails to get my pulse up at least a little bit. Even after 44 years, Andy Gill’s guitar tone and playing on that album are stunningly unique. I still have the vinyl copy I picked up at Bleecker Bob’s when I was 14. Nonetheless, its difficult for me to accept the current lineup now that Mr. Gill has passed.

I’ve really enjoyed the Southern California TRs this season.

Last edited:
Gang of Four tops that lineup for me. Entertainment! is one of my all-time favorite albums.
Agreed, a classic album -- so good that I never bothered to check out anything else they did! Other lesser-known post-punk that still gets heavy rotation includes the Au Pairs, Television, The Minutemen, X-Ray Spex, Pere Ubu, and Polyrock. In another area where I contrast with Patrick, I have no desire to see my musical heroes perform in their golden years. I'd rather watch youtube videos of them in their prime.

Bleecker Bob’s
I used to stop by but never bought anything there (too expensive). The true music geek's destination was the full block of used-album stores on St. Mark's Place.

Last edited:
In another area where I contrast with Patrick, I have no desire to see my musical heroes perform in their golden years. I'd rather watch youtube videos of them in their prime.
Agree up to a certain point. For example, that is why I didn’t bother seeing Billy Idol. ;)

Although I loved Genesis, I didn’t want to see Phil Collins in the sorry state he was.

I hadn’t seen Iggy is about 20 years… it would seem that age as caught up with his body.

Love and Rockets… awesome performance. Siouxsie (over 30 years since the last time I’ve seen her), Iggy, Love & Rockets are the one that made me return to this festival.

I never cared for him back in the day (…)

Did you ski elsewhere in southern California?

Baldy is the only other area open in California besides Mammoth and Alpine/Palisades.

Never care for him, although I liked some of his songs. Saw him with a friend back in 1987 at the Forum which confirmed I didn’t like him. I would have loved to see the Stones 40 years ago, but I can’t stand how they sound now.
People that have lost a lot compared to their hay day:
Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull.
Phil Collins/Genesis

That being said, I have tickets from The Cure, Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel in the next month or so.

Big Bear and Mt. High closed April 30 and May 1. Thunder Mt. preserves longer than other SoCal ski terrain in spring despite no snowmaking as it's 8,600 feet, NW facing , steeper than other ski areas and some of it more shaded by trees.

Last night did not end well, but this morning we woke up and saw that we get a reprieve.
CruelWorld.jpg

Early in Iggy Pop's set both Patrick and I saw a brief flash of light to the east but heard no thunder. At no time over the next 45+ minutes as we were walking out of the Rose Bowl area and to our car was there any rain or more lightning. As one who has lived in SoCal for 65 years, I can say that any lightning within the L.A. Basin in May would be a once in a blue moon event. Yes, it can happen over the mountains or out in the desert, but the bottom line is that this was a ridiculously paranoid call IMHO. Needless to say when we got home social media was lit up with commentary from angry fans, particularly since Siouxsie has not toured for 16 years.

So obviously we will be here today and Patrick and I will drive to Mammoth tomorrow. I will just ski Tuesday while he will continue on to Tahoe, where he will get to ski Alpine Meadows and KT-22 for the first time

Baldy is the only other area open in California besides Mammoth and Alpine/Palisades.

Never care for him, although I liked some of his songs. Saw him with a friend back in 1987 at the Forum which confirmed I didn’t like him. I would have loved to see the Stones 40 years ago, but I can’t stand how they sound now.
People that have lost a lot compared to their hay day:
Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull.
Phil Collins/Genesis

That being said, I have tickets from The Cure, Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel in the next month or so.
Saw Idiot with the Who when they were performing Quadraphina..Front row at MSG...Saw the Stones 43 yrs ago, Tina Turner opened..This was before her resurgence..

Back