Patrick's Streak, Ski Travel Priorities

ChrisC

So obviously we will be here today and Patrick and I will drive to Mammoth tomorrow. I will just ski Tuesday while he will continue on to Tahoe, where he will get to ski Alpine Meadows and KT-22 for the first time

:LOL::eusa-clap::ROFLMAO:

Guess it is time to put that IKON Pass to use! Although both Mammoth and Palisades will have lift tickets around $80-100 for multi-days over Memorial Day Weekend. Just hope thunderstorms do not ruin it all. And lots are forecasted.

Too bad The Fingers at KT22 are closed now.....when they have skied like a filled-in Corbett's for most of the year.

I'd rather ski places in their prime - and cover specific lines I've researched/focused on. Why bother skiing a place if good/great stuff is not open? :beating-a-dead-horse: My exception to that rule this year was Monterosa - but they had all pistes open and the Idren Tram was running.

For example, it took me 20 years to get to Southern California for this reason - until snowfall totals were equivalent to the Rockies. Also, I basically ski Telluride only at the end of February or April closing weekend for max coverage, terrain open, snow stability, family availability, etc. Like to book an airport in Europe to fly to and decide on the Eastern, Western, or Southern Alps. British Columbia skis the best in mid-January to early March.

But I have no desire for streaks, records, etc. It just ruins quality skiing. I'd rather have 12-20 great ski days dictated by weather, open terrain, and conditions. Like new areas, but they need to have typically 1000-1500 or offer some other compelling reason (history, snowfall, runs, etc).

Last edited:
But those other places have not involved sleeping near sea level and skiing above 8,000 feet.
I thought Patrick just finished a bunch of time skiing in Western Canada (eg LL and Sunshine most recently)? I would think altitude conditioning should have lasted a bit better after that much time at altitude? Or was he tourist-ing around the lowlands for a while too?

The ridiculous thing being how much steeps are still open there vs ABasin which has overall better snow coverage. Probably one of the worst aspects of continental snowpacks out here.

I would think altitude conditioning should have lasted a bit better after that much time at altitude?
Some mountaineers think altitude conditioning wears off in just a day or two. I do not agree. I recall the first time I skied with Patrick in Montana/Wyoming in 2006 I flew home and went to Mammoth 4 days later and felt an unusually high energy level. Adam made similar comments while at UCSD when he was skiing Mammoth every weekend for 3+ months.

However, Patrick was home almost 3 weeks between these trips. And in western Canada you're generally sleeping at 3,000-4,000 feet and only at the top of a few hills skiing higher than 7,000. I was not that aware of Patrick's altitude sensitivity, though in retrospect there was some when he arrived in Mammoth in 2019. When I met him in Portillo in 2007 he had already been skiing in Chile for a week.

This year with age, I notice Mammoth and Snowbird at 10,000 feet and have more trouble skiing nonstop in demanding terrain/conditions. This seems to be less of an issue at 8,000 so far.
But I have no desire for streaks, records, etc. It just ruins quality skiing. I'd rather have 12-20 great ski days dictated by weather, open terrain, and conditions. Like new areas, but they need to have typically 1000-1500 or offer some other compelling reason (history, snowfall, runs, etc).
James and I have expressed similar sentiments many times over the past 15 years. I keep more records than most skiers, seek out new areas as a fairly high priority and have arranged 3 times to ski at least 12 consecutive months. Twice I could get tough months by doing AT at Mammoth, but for Liz' 12 months last season there was a dedicated trip to Timberline for June/July and a bit of creativity required in Norway for August/September when we found that the normally open summer ski areas had a lean winter and had closed early.

As far as ski area count is concerned I'd encourage ChrisC to update his list from 2006. He was at 152 then when I was at 121. I'm probably more obsessive about adding new areas but have similar standards of say 1,000 vertical and expecting a few hours of interesting skiing. Lonnie on his road trips the past two seasons skied 7 areas so obscure that neither former admin, James or I had included them on the intended-to-be-comprehensive Google Earth file for North America.

As for streaks/records ruining quality skiing, I personally don't find that an either/or proposition. But if circumstances force me to choose, I vote for quality. My lowered maximum heart rate with age gives me a choice. Ski easier runs/more groomers to maintain vertical of historical standards, or continue skiing challenging terrain/conditions with less vertical. So far I have opted for the latter.

As for Patrick, his streak started in October 2005, and from March 2008 - March 2023 he never skied outside the East between Dec. 11 and April 21, a remarkable stat that leaves no doubt about his top priority. I'm pleased that the April 21 date got rolled back to March 31 with the western Canada trip this year. Even there I agree with ChrisC:
British Columbia skis the best in mid-January to early March.
But we should applaud even baby steps in Patrick improving his quality of skiing.

Last edited:
Some mountaineers think altitude conditioning wears off in just a day or two. I do not agree.
I'm subjected to monthly CBC labs. Over the years I've noticed that when it has been less than 6 or so days since return from a western ski trip, my hemoglobin has been noticeably above baseline. When it has been more than that, it is been within my usual range for baseline.

when it has been less than 6 or so days since return from a western ski trip, my hemoglobin has been noticeably above baseline.
This is right in line with what I was thinking. At least a solid week after heading to lower altitude before I start to settle into that local altitude.

Patrick was home almost 3 weeks between these trips.
Which I didn't realize, I thought it was quick succession (a few days).

As far as ski area count is concerned I'd encourage ChrisC to update his list from 2006. He was at 152 then when I was at 121. I'm probably more obsessive about adding new areas but have similar standards of say 1,000 vertical and expecting a few hours of interesting skiing.

I should do this. Would need a list of areas in order to trigger memories/check them off.

Need to see how you counted European ski areas. Often the term 'resort' refers to the village/lodging area than the ski mountain. Like Whistler Blackcomb in European resort count would be Whistler Creekside, Whistler Village, and Blackcomb Village. But 1 or 2 ski areas? Think 2 is more accurate.

And then you have places like Diavolezza/Lagalb, Verbier/4Vallees, Grand Massif, Portes du Soliel, Arlberg, Andermatt, etc.

Need to see how you counted European ski areas. Often the term 'resort' refers to the village/lodging area than the ski mountain. Like Whistler Blackcomb in European resort count would be Whistler Creekside, Whistler Village, and Blackcomb Village. But 1 or 2 ski areas? Think 2 is more accurate.

And then you have places like Diavolezza/Lagalb, Verbier/4Vallees, Grand Massif, Portes du Soliel, Arlberg, Andermatt, etc.
The last discussion of this topic was here. As this is not a judged competition, we each make our own rules.

Arguments for separate areas:
1) Large with well defined geographic boundary (e.g. Whistler/Blackcomb, Klein Matterhorn/rest of Zermatt)
2) Areas linked by a transport lift but not by ski runs (e.g. Lech/Warth, Les Arcs/La Plagne)
3) Discounted/cheaper lift ticket available for part but not all of the complex (e.g. 4 such parts in Portes du Soleil)
4) Historically separate areas that merged (e.g. Big Sky/Moonlight, Sugarbush/Glen Ellen, Snow Summit/Bear Mt.)

Chris' examples above?
I have Whistler/Blackcomb as 2
I have Diavolezza/Lagalb as 1
I have Verbier as 1, Nendaz/Veysonnaz as a second. Obvious boundary at Tortin.
I have Portes du Soleil as 4 as defined by lift tickets: Morzine/Les Gets, Avoriaz, Chatel, the Swiss side.
I have the Arlberg as 4: St. Anton, Lech/Zurs, Stuben and Warth-Schrocken. All but Stuben have transport lift only boundaries but Rauz is the obvious boundary with St. Anton. You could argue Rendl as a 5th, but that's sort of like Orelle in Trois Vallees: No one seems to think that way in practice.
I have Andermatt Gemsstock as 1 and the string of lifts and runs between Andermatt and Sedrun as a second. Since than I think Disentis (which I have not skied) has a lift connection, but Disentis would still be a third area IMHO.

Last edited:
We've collectively forgotten about our ski-area-count thread -- no posts in three years! I just updated my list.

Would need a list of areas in order to trigger memories/check them off.
I'd recommend using skiresort.info. For each country, scroll down a bit and click on the "map view" icon:
skiresort.info.png

Mouse over each pin and it'll identify the ski area (358 for Switzerland alone -- even the tiniest places are included). Helpful if you know that you skied in a given region but are blanking about specifics:
map.png

Last edited:
We've collectively forgotten about our ski-area-count thread -- no posts in three years! I just updated my list.

I'd recommend using skiresort.info. For each country, scroll down a bit and click on the "map view" icon:
View attachment 35835

I was looking at that list you compiled and saw Jackson Hole and Snowking for WY, but not Targhee... then I found you had it listed under Idaho. ;)

btw, curious why you only have 1 Italian resort? I saw TonyC mentioned it as well, but I didn't see you ever answer him. Maybe you discussed it further elsewhere, and I just missed it.l

I'm mainly curious because my family (and also a friend) are urging me to get dual citizenship (since I qualify for citizenship by descent ) and at some point I may travel over that way, and who knows down the road. I've spent a little bit of time looking at some of the Italian Alps resorts, and seems like many (esp the Dolomites) are not favorable for much snow. It's nice to know there are many other options and traveling is now easier over there in the EU more than ever, or so I hear (never been to Europe).

curious why you only have 1 Italian resort? I saw TonyC mentioned it as well, but I didn't see you ever answer him.
I grew up in an Italian-American household in Central New York (my grandparents and extended family from that generation spoke a goofy Calabrese/American dialect amongst themselves) so naturally, I later rebelled against my upbringing and learned French and German! I can read signs in Italian but can only verbalize very rudimentary things.

That's basically why I tend to ski in France/Switzerland/Austria rather than Italy -- I know how much I'm missing when being dependent on locals to speak my language. After I stop working, I plan to rectify that shortcoming and learn enough Italian to help navigate visits to ski areas there.

I have also mentioned to James many times that French is spoken routinely in Aosta and German is the local language in most of the Dolomites that were in Austria-Hungary before WWI. Signage, trail markers etc. are often in German in the Dolomites and sometimes in French in Aosta.

I speak to the Italians in Spanish. It somewhat works. It's the only country I can semi-communicate in.

Basically, I cannot even pronounce most French or German names remotely correctly, so most of the time I just get blank stares and am at the mercy of the younger generation for some English. Or small country Europe - Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes, Tinns, Czechs, etc. - who need to know English or else they are relegated to communicating with only 10 million countrymen.

Upstate NY - there are A LOT of Czechs, Poles, Slovaks, Ukrainians, Germans, etc. Basically, any group dominated by the Astro-Hungarian, Russian or German Empires got the hell out before/after World War 1. Lots of my family would bury their money in fields behind their homes. The accordion was very popular at family reunions. And the Italians help bring about 'The Spiedie'!

Spiedies are traditionally made with chicken, pork, or lamb cubes or chunks. Spiedies were started in Binghamton, NY (home to Johnson State College) back in the 1930s at a restaurant named “Mario’s.” They served these yummy morsels as a 10-cent snack, along with a slice of bread. Talk about a great deal at 5 to a pound for only half a dollar! The “spiedie” comes from the Italian word spiedo, meaning “skewer.” If you grew up anywhere near Binghamton, Buffalo, or Syracuse, NY, you probably had spiedies. I bet that if you are from upstate New York that no matter where you live now, you either grew up on spiedies or still enjoy them. Spiedies are one of the most popular regional delicacies in the Northeast US. This popularity can be attributed to immigrants who brought their love for flavor-infused meat cubes with them when they settled here, creating this tasty treat that you’ll only find around these parts!

Oh man, how can anyone like these trips to ski streaks? I love skiing and I’ve always love to extend my season whenever I can.

First time I skied Mammoth was in June 2005, even before the ski streak started.

I’m skiing in May at Mammoth for 2 years in a row (especially last year). Last year I skied at Killington in June (like I did in 8 different seasons) or Sugarbush in May before this trip.

Without going into details again, I had a job for over 20 years where it was almost impossible to travel in Winter. The exception was the Montana to Utah trip in 2006 were it came very close to being canceled.

I’m extremely happy with my ski life, I wouldn’t really change anything from it. I get paid to ski and my ski income is generally sufficient to covers all my ski expenses.

I get paid to ski
at Ottawa molehills from Christmas through the end of March. It's delusional to say that has no impact upon the quality of skiing when you can only travel outside that time frame. Most people are constrained by their jobs in how much time can be spent on ski travel to high quality destinations, though the nature of Patrick's constraint is a bit ironic.

Last edited:
at Ottawa molehills from Christmas through the end of March. It's delusional to say that has no impact upon the quality of skiing when you can only travel outside that time frame. Most people are constrained by their jobs in how much time can be spent on ski travel to high quality destinations, though the nature of Patrick's constraint is a bit ironic.
For any relative newcomers to this forum, Tony has been commenting on Patrick's ski-area choices related to his streak for many moons. See post #3 in this Cannon NH report from 2012. :icon-smile: Patrick took a lot of great photos that overcast day.

Last edited:
For any relative newcomers to this forum, Tony has been commenting on Patrick's ski-area choices related to his streak for many moons. See post #3 in this Cannon NH report from 2012. :icon-smile: Patrick took a lot of great photos that overcast day.

I'd love to get back to Cannon and ski the new HSQuad, new woods lines and Mittersill. I think it's a more classic New England mountain than Wildcat - it's tougher, windier, icier.

Also, I'd love to check out what they have done to Bretton Woods.

Back