Tuckerman Ravine, NH: 07/02/05

riverc0il

Admin isn't the only FTO'er chaulking July off the to do list. \:D/

my top ten responses to silly questions while hiking TFT (you can guess the questions):
10) about 20 turns
9) maybe ~150 vertical feet?
8) yes, there is snow up there
7) yes, there really is!!
6) no, i am not carrying skis for training for next season ](*,)
5) yes, i really am going to ski!
4) you'll see for yourself when you get up there
3) you climb up the snow.
2) the season isn't over yet!
1) yes, i just skied!

at one point while down hiking, i got so sick of answering questions, i told the next hikers i saw "yes, i really just skied." the second i saw them look my way before they could ask. it was funny at first! but it got old pretty quick.

so some impressive shots last friday over on the TFT forums got me jonesing. the 90 degree days and NCP looks to have washed away over half the snow in the past week. wow, there wasn't much left! i went up thinking the left side under chute would be the hot spot, but it was a pretty short run and looked pretty steep for climbing considering one mistake could send someone rag dolling into the rocks below, yikes! two other guys i met up with headed that way and i watched two hiking slides with thankfully no injury. only about 4-6 turns on the short patch and the other guys gave up going for the top of the far left side after the backwards slides.

over on the right under the waterfall, the snow was awesome! i'd put it at maybe 150 vertical or so, a good 20 turns if you milked em'. but man were those 20 turns heaven! wow! first run was not top form as the snow was just starting to soften up. the hike up the snow was a little nerve racking given what was at the bottom of the patch, a fall while hiking would have required immediate self arrest.

we climbed along side the patch which was literally boardering the TFT to scope out the undermining situation. mental note for next july, bring a flashlight! it's not a good feeling when you look into a hole and can't determine what is out of site. some rocks were tossed onto the snow pack to guide us away from the spots we deemed most undermined, so we faced a narrow invisible pinch about halfway down the run, in which both skier's left and right sides were substantially undermined. i'd guess this patch will be skiable for a few more days at best before it splits at it's mid-point. get em' tomorrow or it really won't be worth it accept just to do it.

2nd time up i spied that the patch was fully grounded at the top near the TRT, so i hiked up in boots and buckled up again right at the top of the pitch on the grass. sure made clicking into the skis a lot easier without worrying about a narrow platform. runs 2-4 each got progressively better and i was feeling really really good about my turns. i would have kept going, but i wanted to save some leg for the hike down.

i felt like an animal in a cage at the zoo! people kept snapping pictures and shouting disbelief! one guy even got a close up of me putting my boots on! weird! i can understand snagging an action shot, but a close up of someone booting up!?!? okay, it was fun and i hammed it up for the camera, i'll admit it. :lol:

November 11th-July 2nd, my best season to date, 234 days long. 28 days lift serviced for $531.00 at an average lift ticket price of $18.96 and 10 days earning em' lowering the total per day cost to $13.97. i'd put at least 1/4 of those days in the powder catagory too. i am satisfied to hang em' up now that i have crossed the line from dedicated to obsessed. :)

Attachments

• 070205tuckerman05.jpg
    070205tuckerman05.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 17,540
  • 070205tuckerman04.jpg
    070205tuckerman04.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 17,532
  • 070205tuckerman03.jpg
    070205tuckerman03.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 17,515
  • 070205tuckerman02.jpg
    070205tuckerman02.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 17,540
  • 070205tuckerman01.jpg
    070205tuckerman01.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17,527
  • 070205tuckerman00.jpg
    070205tuckerman00.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17,537
a few more shots.

Attachments

• 070205tuckerman10.jpg
    070205tuckerman10.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17,528
  • 070205tuckerman09.jpg
    070205tuckerman09.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 17,535
  • 070205tuckerman08.jpg
    070205tuckerman08.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 17,518
  • 070205tuckerman07.jpg
    070205tuckerman07.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 17,527
  • 070205tuckerman06b.jpg
    070205tuckerman06b.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 17,522
  • 070205tuckerman06a.jpg
    070205tuckerman06a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 17,520
riverc0il":3dyhvlp9 said:
i am satisfied to hang em' up now that i have crossed the line from dedicated to obsessed. :)
Would've love to join you for a few turns steve, maybe next year. :D

I second Marc applause.

=D>

Yea baby! I've got June but not July! =D>
Did anyone ask if they still have avalanches this time of year? :lol:
((*
*))NHPH

Did anyone ask if they still have avalanches this time of year? Laughing
no, that is definitely one question i did not field surprisingly. i doubt any one asking questions even knew avalanches could occur in new england. :lol:

Great pictures , have been down in NC, VA for the last 2 weeks , so good to see the mountains from the home area.

Noticed MRG has posted their 2006 rates , mid week group rate tickets are still at $30.00.

thanks for the heads up! mad card went up $10 to $109 for 3 days. still very much worth it. weekenders are still $50. prob gonna snag a mad card for 05-06, add that to my burke pass and free mid-week skiing at jay and my $25 tix at cannon and i think i am officially all set for lift serviced next season!

Steve , your ski ticket /ski day ratio is impressive . Would you know the rates that Burke charges Mid week , Weekend ( Junior/adult) . nothing posted on their site for 2006 yet . Thanks

Anthony":2lsp81ub said:
Steve , your ski ticket /ski day ratio is impressive . Would you know the rates that Burke charges Mid week , Weekend ( Junior/adult) . nothing posted on their site for 2006 yet . Thanks
last year i think it was $49 for a weekend ticket, maybe $39 for mid0week? i can not remember for sure. i don't follow junior rates so can't comment there either. they did have a coupon on their web site that was two for $75 or something like that which was a great deal. the ski and ride new england card was a solid contributor to my ticket/ski day ratio. burk was on the SRNE card for $10 every day i think. unfortunately, ~$50 seems to be the going rate for non-resort big mountain skiing such as cannon, burke, MRG, etc.

riverc0il":2kofkjoz said:
http://www.rideandskine.com/

so you buy this thing for $49 and then already get a ticket that pays of the price of the card pretty much, then get discounts, that is sick...

also do you know if this is valid with teen lift tickets, and if you can do it with other offers(like at cannon i get $5 off for having a season pass, can i get this discount 2, i doubt it, but i guess it is worth asking)
There website doesnt seem to tell you 2 much

ohhh ya where can u get?

And another ? is it transferriable... like can u use it twice in one day

WOW! Impressive -- great pics! :D I actually hiked Tuckerman's back in the Fall of '98, and always wondered what it would be like to ski it! How fun you pulled it off in JULY! :D WOOT!

Skied back east for the first time this last season ~ BRRRRRRRRRR! I had a wonderful time at Sugarloaf, and hoping to ski more Eastern peaks soon -- beautiful part of our country, but the powder is a tad crunchy! :wink:

wendylynn":3184d4lb said:
hoping to ski more Eastern peaks soon -- beautiful part of our country, but the powder is a tad crunchy! :wink:

Sometimes crunchy, but we do have our moments of powder bliss; the skiing can occasionally be epic too.

Guess it depends on the mindset...I always refer to blue ice as heavily compacted and frozen powder :lol: .

:lol: . . and "when BLUE meets WHITE, everything feels just right" :wink: (a favorite quote we use 'round Tahoe ~ thought it was fitting to your "blue ice" description) :D

ANd yes, I did ski some good powder at Sugarloaf ~ I think you guys just try to keep that eastern powder a big secret! :wink:

wendylynn":16uljlpi said:
I think you guys just try to keep that eastern powder a big secret! :wink:

Us? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

There is no powder here in the east, is there? :wink:

Back