Your 2006-07 Ski Day Count

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I've been told from my hardcore friends in Utah that keeping track of your days is a dork move. Whatever, I'm always curious to see where people have spent their time.

27 days
1 The Canyons, UT
1 Brighton, UT
1 Snowbird, UT
1 Alta, UT
1 Solitude, UT
1 Greek Peak, NY
10 Belleayre, NY
1 Song, NY
2 Windham, NY
1 Mountain Creek, NJ
2 Sunshine, AB
2 Lake Louise, AB
1 Norquay, AB
1 Stowe, VT
1 Sugarbush, VT

jamesdeluxe":qmqrc7jt said:
I've been told from my hardcore friends in Utah that keeping track of your days is a dork move. Whatever, I'm always curious to see where people have spent their time.

If you are referring to a board discussion here, I think that the dispersion was placed on those who kept account of vertical feet/day. This year has been particularly difficult for me to find ski time, but here's my accounting:

----- 29 + ?? days:
2 Brighton, UT
9 Alta, UT
1 Pajarito, NM
7 Taos, NM
2 Seven Springs, PA
1 Timberline, WVa
6 Whistler, BC
1 Blackcomb, BC
?? Loveland/A-basin, CO

The ?? refers to an option I have for skiing up to 3 days at the end on an ongoing business trip in Denver this week. So, we will see...

Cheers,
Jeff

Well it wasn't from this dork friend. I'm at 70 and holding, likely until the weekend. I should have around 75 by the time Snowbird closes around Memorial Day.

Mine are spread around more than normal. 23 different areas (* for new area), tied for most in one season:
1.5 Snow Summit
0.5 Bear Mt. (split day between areas)
2 Mammoth
1 Kicking Horse
4 Chatter Creek Snowcat*
2 Mike Wiegele Heli
1 Marmot Basin*
1 Deer Valley
1 Powder Mt.
1 SnowBasin
1 Solitude
1 Santa Fe*
2 Taos
1 Sandia Peak*
1.5 Alta
2.5 Snowbird
3 Alyeska*
2 Chugach Powder Guides Snowcat*
1 Chugach Powder Guides Heli*
3 Crested Butte
1 Beaver Creek
1 Vail
2 Mt. Bachelor

look'n4powder":2mdx2jdg said:
If you are referring to a board discussion here, I think that the dispersion was placed on those who kept account of vertical feet/day.

Sorry, it was friends from the TGR board who said that about day counters.

I like seeing the vertical foot count on individual TRs (like admin's or J. Spin's)... but adding it up over a season doesn't tell me much.

Almost an all time-low for me this year:
7 total
--------
6 @ Whistler-Blackcomb
1 @ Blue Mountain (Ontario)

54 for me and pretty much done for the season.

Where? Alot at Hunter (2 real powder days), a bunch of powder days at MRG, a day or 2 at Sugarbush, 1 at Mt. Snow, 1 powder day at Magic, 1 at Gore, 3 epic April powder days at Wildcat, 1 at Bretton Woods, yesterday in the drizzle at Killington.

I think that's it. Considering how it started, not a bad season at all.

I'm a dork. Don't keep track of vert, but I've kept a log since I started riding - 02/03 that tracks where, conditions and performance etc.

This season: 11 days, all Southern California hills. Looking forward to at least one trip next season. Lesson: Don't have kids. :wink:

Tony Crocker":vu7q5er4 said:
This season: 11 days, all Southern California hills.
That's pretty marginal this year. Worse than a bad year in the East IMHO.

I'm only 30, so there's still hope, right?

I'm not the only one here who doesn't get much chance to travel, or chooses not to travel. IIRC, all of Admin's reports were/are from his backyard. Of course, it's an enviable backyard.

That's why I wanted to rekindle the whole "where to live" debate.

I've been to Colorado, Mammoth, Oregon (Timberline, so doesn't really count, eh?) and Tahoe (as a beginner; see Timberline), so I haven't been 100 percent dependent on Big Bear and Wrightwood.

SoCal Rider":1m02p0r6 said:
Lesson: Don't have kids. :wink:

Don't worry, it gets better when they start skiing. :p

I'm a dork. Don't keep track of vert, but I've kept a log since I started riding - 02/03 that tracks where, conditions and performance etc.

I've kept tracks of days and where since I've been 16, so from the 1981-82 season. My wife think I'm a dork. :eek:

jamesdeluxe":1m02p0r6 said:

I'm currently at 42 days.

10 Fortune QC (Outaouais)
6 Mad River Glen VT 6
6 Edelweiss QC (Outaouais)
5 Tremblant QC (Laurentians)
4 Cascades QC (Outaouais)
2 Whiteface NY
2 Vorlage QC (Outaouais)
1 Waterville NH *
1 Mt Alta QC (Laurentians) *
1 Morin Heights Qc (Laurentians)
1 Ste-Marie QC (Outaouais)
1 Smugglers' VT
1 Mt-Blanc QC (Laurentians)
1 Jay Peak VT (pre-season)

* new areas for me

Admin":1m02p0r6 said:
I'm at 70 and holding, likely until the weekend. I should have around 75 by the time Snowbird closes around Memorial Day.

Hey Marc, I think James said that he was curious where people skied, not only how much. :wink:

That's why I wanted to rekindle the whole "where to live" debate.

Don't look now, but I don't need any methodology to know that Toronto is definitely NOT the place. :lol:

Jonny D":1m02p0r6 said:
7 total
:shock:

I don't think Jonny got a new kid, but I recall him saying that he got married. :shock: Sorry Jonny. :wink:

Patrick":11d5qllf said:
Hey Marc, I think James said that he was curious where people skied, not only how much. :wink:

I'd have to go back and tally it, but it's all in Utah again this winter. A few days each at Park City, The Canyons, Powder Mountain, and Solitude, with the rest at AltaBird.

I might as well jump in and give you my sad story..

3 Hunter Mtn
1 Bellearye
1 Hidden Valley NJ
2 Gore
3 Deer Valley
3 Park City
1 Alta
Now the excuses... I work every Sunday for the Past 10 yrs.. I have 2 kids 10 and 13 . My wife works full time in NYC so on my day off during the week i do House work and kids stuff :roll: I ski with the kids on Saturday. That's if the weather and social stuff work out... At least everyday out was great...

admin's summary, easy with Excel pivot table:

Data
Area /Count of Area/ Sum of Vertical/ Sum of Powder
Alta 32 344.6 109
AltaBird 3 29.6 3
Altabird/Solitude 1 14 7
Brighton 1 9 0
Canyons 4 37.4 0
Park City 6 78.1 2
Powder Mt. 2 31.3 15
Snowbird 14 158.7 46
Solitude 8 54.6 7
Grand Total 71 757.3 189
updated May 9

admin's end of April vert and powder totals were quite close to my own (which include 3 heli and 6 snowcat days) this season. This a testimony to how good Utah lift service skiing is in a below average year. admin was not posting daily info last season, but I believe his vertical was about 700K with powder in the 225-250K range.

I like seeing the vertical foot count on individual TRs (like admin's or J. Spin's)... but adding it up over a season doesn't tell me much.
My feeling is just the opposite. There are individual days where the quality is very high but the vertical totals don't reflect that. And some days where conditions keep you on the groomers and run up the vertical but you don't get to ski as much off-trail as you would like. Over the course of a season these anomalies tend to offset and the end result is a good measure, especially if you add the powder vertical to it as a further adjustment. Baseball pitchers' win-loss record is a good analogy. It may not mean much for one year, but over a career it's nearly always indicative of quality.

Patrick":1g6o94ij said:
Jonny D":1g6o94ij said:
7 total

I don't think Jonny got a new kid, but I recall him saying that he got married. :shock: Sorry Jonny. :wink:

That's not the issue, my wife was very much in favor of me taking a week with a friend to head up to WB this month (report still coming). The biggest issue is that anywhere within 2 hrs cost about $50+ and has 700 vert or less. It's hard to justify 10 local days when that would get me half of a week long trip out west...
Also work this year has spilled into most weekends, and the southern ontario ski season was roughly mid January to Late march, about 10 weeks, which is 4-5 weeks shorter than the usual season...

Jonny D":1puyxus7 said:
Patrick":1puyxus7 said:
Jonny D":1puyxus7 said:
7 total

That's not the issue (...)Also work this year has spilled into most weekends...

I was just kidding especially after SoCal new kids reason to ski less. For me personally, WORK in the past has been a major factor in limiting my days, even more than a new baby.

I believe I'm at 77. With probably another 10 east coast days, followed by snow chasing throughout the west over the summer...

Back