Your 2007-08 Ski Day Count

I....just....can't....bring...myself....to....admit.....my season....MAY be....OVER.

My goal was 35. I'm at 28. My 3 week long cold and crunchtime at work didn't help. No great variety due to my one track mind....all Gore, except for 1 Whiteface and one BC day in the Siamese.

I guess my best option for extending the season would be getting to the presidentials. Never been and I don't have the foggiest idea how to make that happen. 8)

Goals for next year will definitely include the Slides. I'm going to be all over that one, ready to pounce. Would love to get to MRG next year as well.

Harvey44":bwpt2m1a said:
I guess my best option for extending the season would be getting to the presidentials. Never been and I don't have the foggiest idea how to make that happen. 8)

You get in the car, drive to Pinkham Notch, check the avi report and start hiking. Simple, n'est pas?

Tony...you just keep skiing out there and let us know when break 1000 feet of vertical for a season:

Attachments

• vftgraph.jpg
    vftgraph.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5,481
Tony Crocker":26bpg83x said:
Or you could live somewhere more convenient to where the season doesn't end in early April. :p

Harvey & Tony,

Check out the Eastern closing days thread...

Gore and WF should be open next week, so you can still use your pass next week. :p After that, you'll probably need to go in New England or Canada.

Yes, I needed to clean up that chart. I threw it together quickly in response to this thread. I also ran into admin's size restriction, fortunately only lost a couple of borders.

I should have mentioned that Adam is at 54 days and close to 800K. He has access to the ski team house at Mammoth through May, but will be up there only occasionally during the rest of spring.

Attachments

• vpwgraph.JPG
    vpwgraph.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 5,456
November and December powder are almost non-existent :shock: and even January looks to have some lack luster years. I dunno Tony, that graph isn't going to convince any one on this side of the states :lol:

I have noted before that living in SoCal is not going to get you much daytrip powder. I have also noted that I generally think it's dumb to take destination ski trips before January. So no surprise on the monthly incidence that Riverc0il noticed.

The lift-serviced component of those powder figures:
1998-99: 95K, 64%
2004-05: 114K, 78%
2005-06: 96K, 49%
2006-07: 53K, 32%
2007-08: 97K, 67%

For powderhounds there is no substitute for living in the right place with some flexibility. admin had 189K of powder in 2006-07, the 3rd lowest snow season in my 42 years of Utah records. He's routinely well over 200K in normal or better years, a figure I have yet to attain even with assistance from the cat and heli.

Adam is at 172K of powder in 2007-08, but exactly half of that was on the Jan. 31 - Feb. 10 trip to Canada. And he had another big day at the Iron Blosam in March after I went home. It was not a great powder season at Mammoth. Some of the big storms left everything wind-packed, as on my trip at New Year's 2006.

My totals to date are:-

1 country
6 states
26 days
29 different resorts :p
18 new resorts :D
xxx bars/clubs :lol: :lol:

The resorts I went to were

MT - Discovery(2), Maverick Mtn
ID - Kelly Canyon, Soldier Mtn, Magic Mtn
UT - Wolf Mtn, Snowbasin, Brighton, Snowbird
NV - Las Vegas, Mt Rose, Diamond Peak
CA - Tahoe Donner, Donner Ski Ranch, Soda Springs, Boreal, Homewood, Granlibakken, Sugar Bowl, Northstar, Kirkwood, Sierra-at-Tahoe, June Mtn
CO - Copper, Vail(2), Beaver Creek, Winter Park, Keystone, Loveland

However, Scotland has the most impressive April snow that I can recall since I started skiing back in 1986 and I may well get some turns back home for the first time since about 2001.

Tony, forget the east coast try the west coast of Scotland!! We keep the lifts turning til the snow melts generally and I heard them on the news last night saying more snow due this weekend and hoped to run well into May :D

Check these pictures taken very recently:-

Nevis Range - 9th April
Nevis Range - 11th April
Cairngorm - 2nd April
Cairngorm - 10th April

Watch this space :lol:

q":2f4gg7fx said:
Tony, forget the east coast try the west coast of Scotland!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I find this ironic.

1 country
6 states
26 days
29 different resorts
18 new resorts
xxx bars/clubs

In comparison, my current numbers are:

2 countries
4 states and 3 provinces
53 days or nights
24 different areas
11 new areas
0 xxx bars/clubs :lol:

q - pretty good year so far. Doesn't Scotland and US make 2 countries? What is the elevation of those Scottish mountains?

And Patrick - hard to believe there are 10 resorts you hadn't skied yet. And - fess up - I swear saw you having a beer recently, does this count?

(James - what is the secret 2 fingered signal mean?)

Attachments

• deck_397.jpg
    deck_397.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5,948
Harvey44":14vq9z57 said:
q - pretty good year so far. Doesn't Scotland and US make 2 countries? What is the elevation of those Scottish mountains?

Scotland isn't an independent country. :D :wink:

And Patrick - hard to believe there are 10 resorts you hadn't skied yet.

4 of them out West. 2 of the new ones in the East didn't have any lifts and I wouldn't call Mont Chilly a resort. :p

And - fess up - I swear saw you having a beer recently, does this count?

Well, Q was talking about XXX bars and clubs...I didn't see any strippers on that deck at Whiteface, only a few cute rippers on the hill. :shock: :lol: :wink:

So many numbers here...

I think in terms of quantified experiences.

I was able to ski Telluride at Xmas, early Feb and late March during a historic season in many ways. Record December, January, February snowfall - followed by massive new terrain openings in March. 400". Excellent.

Crested Butte. More one-of-a-time in Feb. 450+

Silverton. Too expensive. When Crested Butte and Telluride offer equal terrain, why pay $120 for a place that lies a lot ?

Tahoe. Overall. Lots of cold powdery snow. Not typical.
Heavenly. Finally skied Firebreak. Makes me want to redesign Heavenly.
Squaw Valley. Some really cold deep powder days this cycle. A few new hucks and lines I wanted to touch.
Alpine. Just more greatness.
Northstar. A high-speed, high-development monster. Well done. But how do they sell all the Ritz units and have $200+season passes?
Kirkwood

East. Finally skied an Eastern place outside of Mountain Creek since 2000s.

Whistler. A two story condo in May. I want to see all my friends from Seattle, so a prepaid roof deck/hot tub is happening. I found it is cheaper to create a destination than do multiple trips (airfare)- and maintain connections. And these peeps are worth it.

My days - it could be 40, but it is more like 26-sh. With skiing costing 50+ per day - I see no reason maximzing it. Why bother? If everyday is 60-90$ I'm going to reflect that in my choices.

And Suutno vertical - it is easy for me and friend to knock off 40k at Kikcing Horse - even with a lot of hiking and entries.

I'm more into tele-skiing with the dogs. The dogs are in their last-life as alpine dogs...so I love them.

haha, by XXX I meant fill in the number nothing dodgy, I swear :wink: Although the girls in Lumpy's left nothing to the imagination 8)

Our highest mountain is 4406 feet so we are not speaking huge mountains. Nevis Range as they now call it, I stick to Aonach Mor as it was called, reaches a height of 4000 feet and has a decent of 1900 feet. Its like Silver Mtn in ID as you need the gondola up and down.

Glencoe has a vert of 2600 feet at times but not often.

40 days in Michigan (Caberfae, Crystal, Nubs Nob, Schuss)
5 days in Utah (Solitude)
5 days in Colorado (Steamboat)
6 days in BC (Whistler/Blackcomb)

Total= 56 days

Unfortunately, we are done for the season :cry:

Someone's got to bring up the rear

13 days, all Cali

5 - Mt Baldy
4 - Mountain High
1 - Snow Summit
1 - Sugar Bowl
1 - Northstar
1 - Alpine Meadows (Tony's right: Either AM is a great mtn for intermediates or I have actually progressed; maybe both)

Far off my season high of 21 (03-04) but three kids 3 and younger will do that. Just waiting for the kin to sprout. My daughter keeps yapping about a ski lesson (yes, ski) after she turns 4 in November.

There's a chance that a May Mammoth visit will bring that number up to a solid 15, but gas prices got me thinking twice about it.

Each child adds a degree of difficulty of 1.35.

So you actually get credit for 31.98 days of skiing?

I asked my 2 year old last night..."do you want to ski next year?"

One word answer: "YA."

and two bobs of the head.

Assuming no more days, as outlined in my recent TR...

40 total days (11 powder):

38 Skiing, 2 Snowboarding

Resorts:
18 Eldora
12 Vail Inc pass (2 Vail, 4 Breck, 6 A-Basin)
2 Taos
2 Crested Butte
2 The Canyons
1 Loveland
1 Wolf Creek
1 Alta
1 Snowy Range, WY

Subjectively, a real good season for me. After a decade of every day of every weekend (mid-dec to mar) race coaching and program director came down to only 11 days of ski team work this year. That let me get back into the groove of skiing for myself a bit again. Love the racing stuff, but also just love to ski too, and really enjoyed getting the variety of both this year.

Update:
Tony's ranking of all his stats compared to his "max" year for each got me thinking/interested for mine.

I'll likely not ever have a new max for ski days (maybe in retirement?), as my max days in one season is 134 days. My 40days this season only ties for 15th place - but I figure that is a pretty solid # for a desk jockey. I don't keep track of vert, etc... so no idea there (though I do make sure I hit at least 10K before I call it a ski day - just my personal rule).

Back