Eastern closing dates thread 2008-2009

Not much time to research what is new, but here are those that are looking into maybe spinning lifts again next weekend.

QC:

Miller: April 19 (maybe another weekend???)
Valinouet: April 19 (if possible)
Val d'Irène: April 19
Comi: April 26 (if possible)
Ste-Anne: April 26 (If possible)
St-Sauveur: May 3 (if possible)

ME:

Sunday River: April 26
Sugarloaf: May 3

VT :

Snow: April 19
Sugarbush: April 26 or more
Killington: May 2
Jay Peak: TBD
Stowe: TBD

NH:

Wildcat: May 3 (if possible)

These late closing dates do surprise me in view of the general lamenting of March conditions that I've been reading here. If they hold up, that would support the view that this is NOT a below average eastern season, since the early season was clearly well above average.

Tony Crocker":1afoy183 said:
These late closing dates do surprise me in view of the general lamenting of March conditions that I've been reading here. If they hold up, that would support the view that this is NOT a below average eastern season, since the early season was clearly well above average.

Although there wasn't much snow in march, and hasn't been that much in april, it has been a fairly cool spring. Altogether, there hasn't been that much precipitation anyways. I'm sure that combined with fairly cool weather has kept the snow-pack from falling apart too quickly.

There was not really a Janurary thaw either. Sunday River had very good coverage over the weekend. I hated to see jordan close. Edge to edge cover and deep. Sunday Punch may have snow to hike to ski into June. The world cup snowboard event got many hours of snow making to take place on that trail.

I'll be at the loaf the first weekend in May. i would bet the coverage will be better than last year at that time.

Looks like Monday the 20th is it for wildcat.

Sat, Mar 21, 2009
The Last NH Resort Still Open With $39 Lift Tickets EVERY Day Until Closing Day, Monday, April 20th & Wildcat Early 09/10 Season Pass On Sale Now With a Lower Price, Fewer Black-Out Dates & Rest-Of-Season Offer. Additional Early/Late Season Incentives.

Sad to see.

I don't recall a big Feb warm up, but don't doubt you. I remember Russ from Sr saying slighly above average temps were due in feb. I remember a good storm during nh vacation week. Lots of cold and wind sticks in my mind for a good part of the season. 75 days so far and should make 80. Last season was so good, realy hard to compare for me.

February had a massive week of snowstorms just after President's weekend. But there were significant rain events just before and after the big snow week.

March should be instructive to you easterners. It's much better for skiing for it to be dry than to rain. That's what bad stretches are like out here, just dry.

Tony Crocker":1c7yt2pl said:
February had a massive week of snowstorms just after President's weekend. But there were significant rain events just before and after the big snow week.

March should be instructive to you easterners. It's much better for skiing for it to be dry than to rain. That's what bad stretches are like out here, just dry.

Better for it to be dry than to rain? No $hit Sherlock. I never would-a figg'rd that one out for myself. :mrgreen:

March for me was a superb spring skiing month. Pretty much half of the days of the month, I was BBQing slopeside and skiing east-facing terrain that had softened. That weather cycle started March 7th. If you can't get powder, spring conditions don't suck.

Here, the entire month of January was below freezing. It was a fairly dry month but things got pretty good in the trees by the middle of the month. February was really mixed. We had some really good storms but every time it got good, it would piss on it a couple of days later. The February 23rd storm was superb and the skiing was great for four days.

Here are the ones that are looking to spin lifts this weekend. A few of them, it will be the end of their season, some are going to move to opening weekends only and other will continue to run everyday. 4 of 6 Quebec ski areas are East in the Saguenay or toward the Gaspe Peninsula.

ON:

Blue Mountain: April 19 (re-opening for the weekend)

QC:

Miller: April 19
Valinouet: April 19
Val d'Irène: April 19
Comi: April 26 (weekend only)
Ste-Anne: April 26
St-Sauveur: May 3 (if possible)(weekends only)

ME:

VT :

Stowe: April 19
Snow: April 19
Jay Peak: May 3 (if possible) (everyday until April 26 then maybe one extra weekend)
Sugarbush: May 3 (if possible) (weekends only)

NH:

You guys forgot about the thaw during Xmas, it was 55F up here at the Bush the day after xmas. Still plenty of great spring skiing up here. Lots of bumps and cruisers skiing well, Here is a report from yesterday.

Sugarbush 4/17
Beautiful drive from Mahopac. It was hard to drive past Killington, but I knew Sugarbush was open an extra hour so I would lose no skiing time.
More snow than last year at this time. Bumps galore. Ripcord, Paradise, Organgrinder, Spillsville and Steins are great. Slushy powder, corn and bare spots on groomers. Found some nice tree lines also. After, Heavens Gate closed at 4PM, we did one last Ripcord and then 2 Steins finishing at 5:15pm.
Pictures can be seen here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/huntermt...IaQi5nBndrOGw#

If you have a sp from any ski hill lift tiks are $39. The Bush blows extra snow during the season on their designated spring trails, they are mostly north facing so hopefully the Bush can go till May 3. The Loaf, Jay, Stowe and the Bush still have snow so get off the puter and do some skiing/riding. Yesterday, some guy from kmart was in Gatehouse ranting about kmart plowing all the bumps down there. Bummer

Better for it to be dry than to rain? No $hit Sherlock. I never would-a figg'rd that one out for myself.
Not only for the quality of skiing, but for snow preservation. Looks like the snowpack is holding up much better than in a typical New England spring where it rains twice a week.

Bushwacker1951":2dl0yr6h said:
Yesterday, some guy from kmart was in Gatehouse ranting about kmart plowing all the bumps down there. Bummer
That almost would sounds like it could be Joe. :lol:

Latest info on who is still planning to have lifts turns before the Summer.

QC:

Miller: need to confirm if they open for this weekend
Comi: April 26 (weekend only)
Ste-Anne: April 26
St-Sauveur: May 3 (if possible)(weekends only)

ME:

VT :

Jay Peak: May 3 (if possible) (everyday until April 26 then maybe one extra weekend)
Sugarbush: May 3 (if possible) (weekends only)

NH:

Tony Crocker":31ffeu5h said:
Better for it to be dry than to rain? No $hit Sherlock. I never would-a figg'rd that one out for myself.
Not only for the quality of skiing, but for snow preservation. Looks like the snowpack is holding up much better than in a typical New England spring where it rains twice a week.

The snowpack at Killington looks like it does most years. Rain is no big deal. Sustained warm fog is what melts things quickly.

Yesterday, I was doing the 5 minute walk and skiing on north-facing natural snow trails. A few thin spots and a few holes but typical for the 3rd weekend in April. Just about anything with snowmaking that faces north will be fine for another couple of weeks. The only problem is the runout at the bottom. Today, I was sitting in a hot tub that has a view of east-facing Outer Limits. Like every year, it has a hole at the top but you can still ski top to bottom without hitting anything.

Patrick":2129eh3n said:
Bushwacker1951":2129eh3n said:
Yesterday, some guy from kmart was in Gatehouse ranting about kmart plowing all the bumps down there. Bummer
That almost would sounds like it could be Joe. :lol:

not I paddy....

Geoff what the hell are they doing over there with the grooming and why ?????

Geoff":czyzlhsl said:
Tony Crocker":czyzlhsl said:

The snowpack at Killington looks like it does most years. Rain is no big deal. Sustained warm fog is what melts things quickly.
I was also surprised to hear about the lack of rain helping the snowpack to hold up better in the spring. Like Geoff I'd say that spring rain on durable spring snow is not all that big a deal, and in fact I'd argue that a typical cloudy, showery regime, which features cooler temperatures and snow at elevation is often better at sustaining and even building snowpack (as we've seen it do this month) than day after day of warmth and sun. I'll reiterate what I mentioned earlier about the tail end of the season around here, in that there's not too much use fretting about it based on the state of natural snowpack. Since the lift-served season is finished off on snowmaking trails nowadays, there doesn't seem to be extreme variability in terms of when it ends.

-J

Since the lift-served season is finished off on snowmaking trails nowadays, there doesn't seem to be extremes variability in terms of when it ends.
I am coming around to this point of view. It seems the most logical explanation for similar closing dates in a year with a subpar spring (in terms of snowfall/natural snowpack) vs. the previous 2 outstanding springs. MRG also provides a reality check on how late the eastern season would be without snowmaking.

There have been several past seasons where the spring weekend skiing has been crappy because the rain hit on some of those weekends. You seem to have avoided that most of the time this year.

Tony Crocker":13nglee1 said:
MRG also provides a reality check on how late the eastern season would be without snowmaking.

Well, I've discussed this before. MRG issue were more related to lower mountain. Geography, exposure, climat, altitude and latitude all have different effect. I know Tony might add that his analysis doesn't include Eastern Canada, but he didn't mention it and I want to make it sure that he realize it.

I know that Mont Miller doesn't have any snowmaking and I'm pretty sure Mont Comi doesn't have any either. Those mountain still have wall-to-wall coverage as Valinouet and Val d'Irène on their last day of the season last Sunday.

Do they get more snow? No, not close to some of Vermont areas. All this mostly on natural snow.

Numbers from ASSQ compiled by someone on Zoneski. I added some US numbers to compare.

1- Val d'Irène 649 cm
2- MPRSF 639 cm
3- Valinouet 561 cm
4- Massif du sud 510 cm
5- Mont-Édouard 507 cm
5- Mont-Comi 507 cm
7- Sutton 499 cm
8- Mont Miller 490 cm
9- Tremblant 481 cm
10- Owl's Head 479 cm

Jay Peak: 1001cm
Smugglers' Notch: 897cm
Stowe: 894cm
Mad River Glen: 513-627cm

I know that Mont Miller doesn't have any snowmaking and I'm pretty sure Mont Comi doesn't have any either. Those mountain still have wall-to-wall coverage as Valinouet and Val d'Irène on their last day of the season last Sunday.
These are the remote places in Gaspesie or Saguenay. Most easterners could get to SLC or Denver in less time.

Back