Europe 23/24

What site do you all go to for Euro car rentals? And how do you handle the insurance part of it? Buy one of the yearly ‘insurance for car hire’ policies?

I start with Kayak since it has almost all sites, and then start drilling down into deals.

But really, there are only 2 online travel companies: 1. Expedia and 2. Priceline. All the online brands roll up under them. It's a duopoly.
However, you should also look at the individual car rental company sites too - and not just rely on the "two" engines. Sometimes you find a deal.

I still have a Corporate Code for Hertz from an old job, so I use that sometimes.

Insurance, I am not the best one to comment. I play a little loose. Generally, I use my credit card + personal auto. This does not work in some countries, so I will purchase additional.

I start with Kayak since it has almost all sites, and then start drilling down into deals.
That's what I use too.

Generally, I use my credit card + personal auto.
Likewise. Between credit card coverage and personal auto insurance, you should be sufficiently covered in any of the Alps countries.

I've mentioned this unfortunate lesson learned when picking up a rental car in Italy -- if you book through any third-party travel site (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.), make sure that the car supplier isn't one of the local offsite Italian joints, as they require an international drivers license, no exceptions. It's absolute bollox that the sites don't warn you about it.

Another lesson learned from last winter -- if you return the car and there's no one at the airport to inspect it/give you a final receipt, take lots of photos showing that there's no damage. I got hit with a $750 fee and had to sic my credit card on them to get the money back.

That's what I use too.

Likewise. Between credit card coverage and personal auto insurance, you should be sufficiently covered in any of the Alps countries.

I've mentioned this unfortunate lesson learned when picking up a rental car in Italy -- if you book through any third-party travel site (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.), make sure that the car supplier isn't one of the local offsite Italian joints, as they require an international drivers license, no exceptions. It's absolute bollox that the sites don't warn you about it.

Another lesson learned from last winter -- if you return the car and there's no one at the airport to inspect it/give you a final receipt, take lots of photos showing that there's no damage. I got hit with a $750 fee and had to sic my credit card on them to get the money back.

Italy is NOTORIOUSLY BAD about charging car damages to the consumer! Document everything!

BTW, Hertz and Sixt did not require an International Driver's License in Milan. It really is at the discretion of the car company for enforcement. I hesitate to go to far off name brands.

Also, I always make at least 2 car rental reservations (sometimes 3) at differing companies. Sometimes, a local office will start trying to inflict charges (car model upgrades, chains, etc). And you simply walk away from the game and go to your backup. This occurred to me in 2018 at the Geneva French Hertz desk. The agent claimed no more basic models ($$$), no snow tires ($ chains), blah, blah. Told my brother to get in the Enterprise line (my backup SUV rez), and 10 minutes later we had a new Alpha Romeo SUV from Enterprise. Meanwhile, the Hertz agent was enraged.

So make 2 car rental reservations! It's free. You are not really reserving a car with a reservation, so why not? Totally ethical.

Italy is NOTORIOUSLY BAD about charging car damages to the consumer!
What I described above happened at GVA. I arrived at the French side dropoff at 6:45 am for my 9:15 flight and no one was there to check in returns (WTF?) so I parked the car, walked around to make sure there was no damage, and (in retrospect, stupidly) left the keys in the box without taking photos.

Hertz and Sixt did not require an International Driver's License in Milan. It really is at the discretion of the car company for enforcement. I hesitate to go to far off name brands.
It was explained to me that only the local Italian rental companies require an international drivers license, not the majors like Hertz or Sixt, and it was buried in the fine print on the contract. In 18 previous ski trips to the Alps over the years, I'd never heard of that issue; however, it was my first time arriving in Italy. Luckily, the lady at the Enterprise counter (who'd seen this happen many times before) rented me a car on the spot without gouging me.

I always make at least 2 car rental reservations (sometimes 3) at differing companies.
That's a good idea, noted.

Last edited:
Agreed, and as I've noted, it's one of very few U.S. airports that doesn't charge for luggage carts. It's only $5 or $6 but something about having to pay for one really annoys me. At Newark, I walk 30 yards out to the curb and grab one.
:icon-lol:

I am now so value-oriented that a lot of North American skiing somewhat annoys me. I don't mind paying for experiences, but I do not want to be gauged for lift tickets, parking, food, rental cars, etc.

A few of the areas I still like in North America:
  • Spokane. NW interior USA loop. Incorporate any of the following: 49, Mt Spokane, Silver, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Lost Trail, MT Snowbowl
  • Spokane. Canada/Powder Highway. Incorporate any: Red, Whitefish, Fernie, Castle, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke. Add Cat Skiing.
  • Calgary. Banff + Powder Highway. Banff area, Lake Lousie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke.
  • Portland. Mt. Hood Meadows & Snowbowl, Timberline, Bend.
  • Ogden. SLC resorts are too crowded. Snowbasin, Powder Mt.
  • Boise. Tamarack, Brundage, Bogus. Add Sun Valley.
  • SW Colorado/NM. Generally need to ski late (Feb 1st+). Still find magic at Telluride, Crested Butte, Monarch, Silverton, Taos, and Sante Fe.
Places I no longer want to visit in North America:
  • SLC. Lift Tickets + Parking + Crowds. Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude. When I get an IKON.
  • Denver. Used to be fun, Now I-70, crowds, tickets. Loveland and ABasin get sucked into this mix. Breck, Copper, WP, etc.
  • Jackson. A town full of skiers is too large + tourists. They are hitting nearly 700-800k skier days.
  • Tahoe Weekends.
I am in the middle:
  • Bozeman. Love Bridger, but Big Sky is becoming $$$. Red Lodge.
  • Vancouver. Whistler during the week. Late season. Still OK. Inland Big White, Apex, and Sun Peaks are worthwhile.
  • Tahoe weekdays.
  • Mammoth.

Some thoughts on cat and heli-skiing:
  • BC Heli. I think it's very expensive to ski trees. Getting $$$ every year.
  • BC Cat. Reasonable cost to ski amazing trees. Big Red. Valhalla. K3.
  • Alaska. Anchorage - Chugach - pricey, but a backup of cat and Alyeska. Valdez. Las Vegas of heli / gamble. Great amazing, steep, treeles terrain - but can often get shut down.

Europe.
  • Still find a lot of value. Yes, guiding is expensive. But lots of savings in lift tickets, lodging, food quality, resort scale, and powder potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of ChrisC's positive comments above. Many of the negatives have some workarounds.
  • SLC: Iron Blosam week still works well for us for the obvious reason of being based on-site. I am less inclined to visit SLC at other times than before. The combination of last year's snow and the crowds seriously degraded our former admin's ski season. Limited to weekends he skied around 40 days, probably a record low since moving there in 2005.
  • Denver: One word answer, April. Crowds ease off and many areas have their best conditions relative to the rest of the West in April. James should be timing at least one family long weekend trip per season accordingly.
  • Jackson: For snow conditions, advance booking needs to be mid-January through early February. Fortunately this is not a peak time frame for crowds and Liz and I have managed OK, even as recently as 2022. Crowds are up some, but manageable as long as you don't insist on using the tram much.
  • Mammoth: Despite that pic from last weekend, Mammoth in general handles crowds extremely well, unless too many lifts are shut down for weather/conditions. Mammoth's peak attendance pre-Alterra was just under 1.5 million. Because those numbers were attained in 1982, 1986, then 2005 and 2006, lift infrastructure was built to handle that. Was that number exceeded in 2023? Maybe, but it's not like Jackson where visits have doubled in the past 20 years.
I'm probably more negative on Bozeman than ChrisC. Bridger has the same topographic flaw as Big Sky, a huge gap at the advanced intermediate level, along with east exposure at much lower altitude. And Red Lodge is not exactly in the neighborhood at 2.5 hours distance. If driving that far from Bozeman, I'd go the other way to Discovery.
BC Cat. Reasonable cost to ski amazing trees. Big Red. Valhalla. K3.
But you really need to be lodge based to get the quality and quality of skiing that ChrisC values most. I agree for heli, you want high alpine terrain that is generally not accessible by cat. And for more consistent snow stability on steep terrain, that means Alaska or Iceland.

But really, there are only 2 online travel companies: 1. Expedia and 2. Priceline. All the online brands roll up under them. It's a duopoly.
However, you should also look at the individual car rental company sites too - and not just rely on the "two" engines. Sometimes you find a deal.

I still have a Corporate Code for Hertz from an old job, so I use that sometimes.

Insurance, I am not the best one to comment. I play a little loose. Generally, I use my credit card + personal auto. This does not work in some countries, so I will purchase additional.
Thanks.
We don't have personal auto insurance. Our car insurance is by the vehicle.
I'm looking at a yearly policy through rentalcover.com

What I described above happened at GVA. I arrived at the French side dropoff at 6:45 am for my 9:15 flight and no one was there to check in returns (WTF?) so I parked the car, walked around to make sure there was no damage, and (in retrospect, stupidly) left the keys in the box without taking photos.

I STILL do not know how to return a car to the French side/agencies of Geneva. I generally park wherever it is close to the key drop. It is a miracle I have not had an incident.

I've tried following signs, making loops, and checking the internet.....no luck. Generally, I am pretty savvy with maps.

Thanks.
We don't have personal auto insurance. Our car insurance is by the vehicle.
I'm looking at a yearly policy through rentalcover.com

What do you normally do? Just buy the rental company coverage?

I guess there is less worry about healthcare in Australia.

SLC: Iron Blosam week still works well for us for the obvious reason of being based on-site. I am less inclined to visit SLC at other times than before. The combination of last year's snow and the crowds seriously degraded our former admin's ski season. Limited to weekends he skied around 40 days, probably a record low since moving there in 2005.

The high Parking Fees now in place at almost all the SLC ski resorts are really egregious. I think the only free parking left is at the 'Canyons" entrance to Park City. Not only do you need an IKON ski pass, but you need a parking pass. (You could see this coming - even in 2000, there were bad parking issues at Stevens Pass and, to a lesser extent - Crystal and Alpental. Really, it's no longer about High-Speed lifts and terrain expansions -> it's about 250 new parking spots on a pass or canyon that are most exciting!)

Overall, the magic of a cheap SLC trip to Alta, Brighton, and Solitude is mostly gone.

Denver: One word answer, April. Crowds ease off and many areas have their best conditions relative to the rest of the West in April. James should be timing at least one family long weekend trip per season accordingly.

True. By mid-March, the traffic eases. And most years, ABasin, Loveland and Breck are finally in there prime in the alpine.

Jackson: For snow conditions, advance booking needs to be mid-January through early February. Fortunately this is not a peak time frame for crowds and Liz and I have managed OK, even as recently as 2022. Crowds are up some, but manageable as long as you don't insist on using the tram much.

Telluride and Jackson Hole had similar skier days numbers in the early 2000s - roughly in the 400sk/yr. Still today in Telluride, on a powder day, you can just drop your skis in line and go get a coffee and/or breakfast burrito. Or even back home. At the 9 am lift opening, your place in line is respected, and you slap on your skis. I pity the tourists who do not follow this local code of conduct on powder days - it's enforced.

Targhee is still good. But my brother's friend, who is married to the Jackson town lawyer, no longer skis on the weekends at Jackson Hole. Hell, they now need shuttle service on The Pass on weekends/holidays in mid-winter. Community-supported cat-skiing....a strange, good development!

Paradise lost.

Mammoth: Despite that pic from last weekend, Mammoth in general handles crowds extremely well, unless too many lifts are shut down for weather/conditions. Mammoth's peak attendance pre-Alterra was just under 1.5 million. Because those numbers were attained in 1982, 1986, then 2005 and 2006, lift infrastructure was built to handle that. Was that number exceeded in 2023? Maybe, but it's not like Jackson where visits have doubled in the past 20 years.

Mammoth can handle crowds quite well.

I'm probably more negative on Bozeman than ChrisC. Bridger has the same topographic flaw as Big Sky, a huge gap at the advanced intermediate level, along with east exposure at much lower altitude. And Red Lodge is not exactly in the neighborhood at 2.5 hours distance. If driving that far from Bozeman, I'd go the other way to Discovery.

Did not add Disco Basin to my list, oversight. I have caught Bridger mid-winter and like the idea of an avy-gated lift. The locals kicked my a-- on the normal hike to the Ridge. My other visit was during a 40" late March storm, so my experience is jaded.

However, I had a few friends trade their Seattle homes for a House in Bozeman + $$$ .... and a slightly better lifestyle. The place had a huge real estate runup during COVID-19. So did Boise.

But you really need to be lodge based to get the quality and quality of skiing that ChrisC values most. I agree for heli, you want high alpine terrain that is generally not accessible by cat. And for more consistent snow stability on steep terrain, that means Alaska or Iceland.

I know. Need to do the Cat Lodge experience. The day cat areas are fun, but waste time in the AM with training.

Re: Aspen

I really used to hate Aspen, but I'm now starting to like it. The skiing is quite good: Highlands + Bowl (even if it's one run per trip), Cirque and Hanging Valley, and Ajax - classic bump skiing (Likely will be improved by new Hero's expansion). No crowds.

But the place is just soooo expensive: lodging and food. And Aspen town is such LaLa land. A 100 art galleries? Clubs? This is not a ski town - it's its own thing. Barely resembles other high-end ski towns like Whistler, Park City, Sun Valley, Vail, Telluride, etc.

1700239887742.png

Last edited by a moderator:
But the place is just soooo expensive: lodging and food.
Snowmass lodging can be reasonable, though the last time I was there was 2014. The places where I have found no reasonably priced lodging within an hour's drive are Big Sky and, ahem, Telluride. For dining, several Aspen restaurants had happy hour bar menus that were very good value. Again, that was from 2014.

I have not skied in the I-70 corridor (including Aspen) since 2015 aside from that pandemic June 1 day at A-Basin. Both 2014 and 2015 were very bad seasons in California but fairly good ones in Colorado, and that's the most likely scenario for further visits.

We did have an extensive SW Colorado/NM trip after Iron Blosam in 2019.

I agree the Schlasman's lift was a huge improvement to Bridger.

I STILL do not know how to return a car to the French side/agencies of Geneva. I generally park wherever it is close to the key drop. It is a miracle I have not had an incident.

I've tried following signs, making loops, and checking the internet.....no luck. Generally, I am pretty savvy with maps.
We had to do that once. I think I had been forewarned (by James?) so we scouted the area and got a hotel room across the French border near that road access.

I STILL do not know how to return a car to the French side/agencies of Geneva. (...) I've tried following signs, making loops, and checking the internet.....no luck. Generally, I am pretty savvy with maps.
I think I had been forewarned (by James?)
Yes, I warned you after I spent a solid 40 minutes driving all over creation around the airport. Waze and Google Maps decidedly did not work and there is no clear signage directing you to the French-side car dropoff. Good thing I speak the language, as some security guard finally pointed me in the right direction.

What do you normally do? Just buy the rental company coverage?

I guess there is less worry about healthcare in Australia.
Yes. Buy the nose bleed rental company cover.

What does healthcare have to do with auto insurance? Is it packaged together or something in the US?

By the way we are penalised (extra income tax) heavily if we earn over a certain amount and don’t take out private health cover.

What does healthcare have to do with auto insurance? Is it packaged together or something in the US?
No, one has nothing to do with the other. Wow, having to purchase rental company car cover(age) would seriously increase the cost of a trip.

we are penalised (extra income tax) heavily if we earn over a certain amount and don’t take out private health cover.
If I'm not mistaken, Obamacare tried to do something similar. It didn't go over well.

No, one has nothing to do with the other. Wow, having to purchase rental company car cover(age) would seriously increase the cost of a trip.
It's about $129aud per year................not a deal breaker when the flights to Europe or North America at least $2000aud return nowadays.

only place i opted for the insurance was South Africa...the extra 100$ was worth it
Only place I've opted for it is for next April in Mazatlan. One company refused to let me have the car in Spokane without it when I told them I was driving into Canada. Lesson learned: Do not tell the rental car counter that you will be crossing the US-Canada border.

Only place I've opted for it is for next April in Mazatlan. One company refused to let me have the car in Spokane without it when I told them I was driving into Canada. Lesson learned: Do not tell the rental car counter that you will be crossing the US-Canada border.
I'm guessing the April trip to a non snow destination is eclipse orientated?

Back