Europe 23/24

James - you should setup a FF miles alert for your dates on United.

You can use Skyscanner, Expert Flyer, Award Hacketr, etc to set an alarm for your route, aiomr, dates, etc. Use either free trial or one month subscription. Easier than monitoring award sales.

You can use Skyscanner, Expert Flyer, Award Hacketr, etc to set an alarm for your route, aiomr, dates, etc. Use either free trial or one month subscription. Easier than monitoring award sales.
United always sends out e-mail to MileagePlus-ers to announce award sales, but it can't hurt to set an alarm. Thanks, I wasn't aware of those sites.

ChrisC just gave me the heads-up that Delta Air France/KLM cut prices today. So we booked Jan. 17 - Feb. 4 for $738pp, a very good price. Mileage awards were not cut, so it would be ridiculous to pay 82K + $94 for those same seats. I did not find anything on Delta's website saying that flyers with status would not be subject to the no miles credit/no seat assignment provisions of the cut rate $588 Economy Light fare. My status did get us an automatic Economy Comfort upgrade on the return Delta flight from CDG-LAX.

A bit off topic, but I usually look for my Canada air travel the same time as for Europe. So similar to last year I booked Feb. 16 - 28 for 25K miles + $60. That's just OK vs. $451 cash, but I've lowered my standards as redeeming FF miles has become more challenging over the years.

Last edited:
I yesterday booked my flights for my solo spring trip in April. I’m going to attend the Snowheads (British forum) End of Season Bash in Val Thorens. It includes guiding. The prior week I will go to Tignes and do a clinic with Snoworks or TDC. I’ve ditched the idea of the UCPA thing because of the shared dormitories.
The day between Tignes and Val Thorens I will add to my ski area count by going to Sainte Foy for their last day of the season.

Not ideal travelling to Europe twice in 3 months but better than being at work.

My winter dates are January 25 into Milan and February 19 out of Munich.

Edit. I’m flying Singapore in January and Qatar for the first time in April. Qatar is into Lyon (Geneva no flights on my preferred date) and out of Zurich as I never been to that city and I’m keen to check it out for a day. Qatar flights $2090Aud return.

Last edited:
into Lyon
I've always wanted to fly into Lyon and check out the city. It's more or less the same drive time to many French resorts as Geneva. Unfortunately, the only nonstop to/from North America is via Montreal.

Impressive TGV terminal:
vrir-lyon-aeroport-clair.jpg?fit=max&ixlib=php-3.3.jpg

A%C3%A9roport-de-Lyon.jpg

pexels-pixabay-462341-scaled.jpg

I've always wanted to fly into Lyon and check out the city. It's more or less the same drive time to many French resorts as Geneva.

My second ski trip to Europe in 2006 was SFO-FRA-LYS via United/Lufthansa - primarily because UK friends were flying from London to Lyon and we were skiing La Grave for 5 days (rented car to get to La Grave).

I also skied the 3 Vallees (based in Meribel-Mottaret) for 4 days and then skied Val d'Isere/Tignes for 4 days. There were cheap direct ski buses from Lyon Airport to the major French Alps resorts, so no need for a car. Also, I broke the skiing up by spending 1 day touring Lyon and 1 day touring Provence (an easy TGV express train to Avignon, Aix-en-Provence, and Arles).

IMHO Lyon Airport is superior to Geneva. To me, Geneva is a bit ghetto and an embarrassment to Switzerland. It's unappealing architecturally, older, inefficiently laid out, has horrible baggage claim, and has difficult transportation/car rentals due to stradling 2 countries. Zurich and Munich airports are amazing, and Milan Malpensa is OK. I would NEVER use Geneva airport except for its location in Europe's ski country.

Last edited:
ChrisC just gave me the heads-up that Delta Air France/KLM cut prices today. So we booked Jan. 17 - Feb. 4 for $738pp, a very good price. Mileage awards were not cut, so it would be ridiculous to pay 82K + $94 for those same seats. I did not find anything on Delta's website saying that flyers with status would not be subject to the no miles credit/no seat assignment provisions of the cut rate $588 Economy Light fare. My status did get us an automatic Economy Comfort upgrade on the return Delta flight from CDG-LAX.

I booked full-fare economy tickets on British Airways (SFO-LHR-GVA) for $750 rt in order to use my AA status and miles to upgrade to Premium Economy. Tried with cheaper AA basic economy fare, but could not upgrade on international Partner Airlines. My partner is coming on this trip (who refuses redeye flights now) so I just gave up. Before takeoff, I am sure this will increase.

Personally, I look at a Premium Economy seat as a week of skiing in the Alps. And a Business class seat is a week of heli/cat-skiing in BC or Alaska. Cannot justify it - especially considering I cannot really sleep on planes.

Also, Bay Area friends are coming - some who have nothing better to do with tech money than upgrade.

Last edited:
Geneva is a bit ghetto and an embarrassment to Switzerland. It's unappealing architecturally, older, inefficiently laid out, has horrible baggage claim, and has difficult transportation/car rentals due to straddling 2 countries. Zurich and Munich airports are amazing, and Milan Malpensa is OK. I would NEVER use Geneva airport except for its location in Europe's ski country.
I agree with all of the ratings and comments. Malpensa is a wee bit better than Geneva but not by much.

Personally, I look at a Premium Economy as a week of skiing in the Alps. And a business class seat is a week of heli-skiing in BC or Alaska. Cannot justify it -
That's my opinion also. I sleep some on planes, but usually it's fitful and shallow. I know from friends that in later retirement years I may need to pay up for more comfortable seats, but I'd like to put that off as long as possible.

I also flew into Lyon when going to La Grave in 2008. I took a bus to Grenoble and spent a sightseeing morning there including the 1968 OIympic museum. I got a ride to La Grave from one of the other clients and back to Lyon airport with the Extremely Canadian guides. But that trip ended with my worst ever airline debacle. LYS-CDG-CVG-SLC to Iron Blosam for 4 days of skiing, the first three of which I had no luggage.

A cursory Kayak search shows EWR-GVA airfares today being as or more expensive than what Chris and I paid yesterday from SFO and LAX unless you want to take a 13 hour scenic route though Portugal.

Last edited:
A cursory Kayak search shows EWR-GVA airfares today being as or more expensive than what Chris and I paid yesterday from SFO and LAX unless you want to take a 13 hour scenic route though Portugal.
The airfare pearl-clutching is getting silly. It's only the third week of October. I'll continue to stand by for the forthcoming winter award sale but am prepared for the deals to be not quite as notable as in previous years.

The airfare pearl-clutching is getting silly.
The fares ChrisC and I got are not far off bargain rates in prior seasons, and it is well known that fuel costs are not low right now. I was commenting that it seems strange that the West Coast fares went on sale this weekend while the East Coast fares did not. If I were on the East Coast, I'd be holding out for a better deal too.

James, where are you going to ski?

I decided to invite a bunch of SF friends along this winter - 90% never have skied in the Alps. So most of the week will be in Val d'Iser/Tignes - hopefully a day over in Ste. Foy. Then move to Chamonix for a long weekend and ski wherever - Vallee Blanche, Brevent-Flegere, Courmayeur, Verbier, Megeve, etc. (Zermatt is a consideration). Some do not want to bring equipment so I really needed to pick 2 large resorts as 'bases'. This will not be road-tripping though the Alps following the snow.

Not really new ski areas for me (except Ste. Foy) Mostly new off-piste areas of Val d'Isere/Tignes, perhaps Monte Bianco Cable car, Mt. Blanc-Courmayeur heli (3 runs), or Verbier. More focused on lines I have never skied - so it will be quality over quantity this trip.

James, where are you going to ski?
To be honest, I've not been bitten by the trip-planning bug yet other than a likely season opener at Solitude in mid-December like last season. After booking my Euro flights, I'll start considering options.

I've put such an emphasis on trying out new-to-me places -- often one-day stops as reconnaissance for when I hopefully spend seasons in the Alps and can purchase a region-wide pass -- however, I can cite several spots I wouldn't mind revisiting, especially ones where I hit tough weather and said "this place is right up my alley and would be great under better conditions."

Last edited:
I’m going to attend the Snowheads (British forum) End of Season Bash in Val Thorens
Can't remember if I've mentioned before -- the Snowheads forum is very active and informative for Euro visits; I used to participate on it from time to time before finding Alpinforum. That said; they're using an interface that dates back to, I swear, the turn of the century. I have no idea how they keep it going without a monster crash.

We had so much trouble with FTO's previous package (phpBB); however, that software was cutting-edge compared to Snowheads, which may be so archaic that it's indestructible?
:eusa-think:

Can't remember if I've mentioned before -- the Snowheads forum is very active and informative for Euro visits; I used to participate on it from time to time before finding Alpinforum. That said; they're using an interface that dates back to, I swear, the turn of the century. I have no idea how they keep it going without a monster crash.

LOL.

The Germans document EVERYTHING about their trip on Alpinforum.

Snowheads - typical questions repeated 100s of times:
  • Where should I go in Italy?
  • Is Chamonix good for children and slopeside accommodations?
  • La Clusaz - good for a ski weekend?
  • Will there be high winds on my trip?
  • Will the Alps be a slushpit at half term?
  • Is Zermatt good in March?
Not much insight, lots of basic questions. Here and there - some nuggets.

United has Geneva on sale on sale in most East Coast cities. As well as Delta.

The only issue is flying through Newark on a Fri/Sun. MIA-NEW-GVA $700
1698090802841.png

Never flew TAP before, but current Newark airfare with a checked bag: $570

Screenshot 2023-10-23 094323.png

We had so much trouble with FTO's previous package (phpBB); however, that software was cutting-edge compared to Snowheads, which may be so archaic that it's indestructible?
:eusa-think:
I concur on both points. It’s a helpful forum and their software is ancient. I met a couple of members while we skied at Les Arcs and Tignes in the salmon coloured snow of March 2022. Lovely people.

On the forum software thing. Do the upgrades cost a lot? I have no idea about tech stuff as I’m bordering on being a Luddite.
@Tony Crocker Respectfully Bestsnow isn’t exactly cutting edge in this regard. Not worth the expense of an upgrade?

Those lowest fares in ChrisC's post above are basic economy, similar to the $588 it would be on Delta from LAX. If you want mileage credit or a seat assignment, you're paying $700+, again the same as from the West Coast. We are in the time frame now that the best deals have historically been available for Euro ski travel. But so far only cash prices from the West Coast are on sale, so it's understandable that James in the East is still holding out.

I have absolutely no clue what would be involved in changing the format of hundreds of pages on bestsnow.net. The pressing need to have FTO updated was security from hacks that periodically took the site down. Former admin warned in fall 2021 that there was no more software support for that version of phpBB and that sooner rather than later FTO would suffer an unrecoverable attack. Bestsnow is not interactive and thus not updatable but anyone but me. The conversion of FTO by Xenforo Marc was remarkably painless, reasonable in cost and the only loss in content was embedded picture captions.

Last edited:
  • The Germans document EVERYTHING about their trip on Alpinforum.
  • Snowheads - typical questions repeated 100s of times:
Yes, every forum has its + and - and that's why we stick with FTO, although, as Ian Hogg in Spinal Tap said, "our appeal has become more selective." :icon-e-smile:

Back