Big Cottonwood Canyon, UT – Solitude Mountain Resort is hosting a multi-day, hands-on Backcountry Basecamp in conjunction with Backcountry Magazine. Held tomorrow through Monday, January 18, editors of Backcountry, local guides and forecasters, American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) instructors, and apparel and gear experts will be at Solitude Mountain Resort for the kickoff of Basecamp’s 2016 North America tour.
Attendees of Basecamp will get an in-depth understanding of the latest in education, gear and backcountry fun. The newest backcountry skis, skins, splitboards, beacons, shovels, probes and airbag packs will be showcased, as well as the latest technical outerwear from Scott Sports and Gore-Tex. AIARE will conduct demonstrations and classes each day and local guides will take visitors on complimentary backcountry tours, with an emphasis on safety conditions.
In addition to promoting backcountry safety and the latest in avalanche education, Basecamp raises money for local avalanche centers, mountain rescue and ski patrol efforts and proceeds from the Solitude event will go to Wasatch Backcountry Rescue.
Schedule (Daily, Saturday through Monday, January 16-18):
- 9:00 – Avalanche forecast and trip planning workshop; Uphill how-to clinic
- 10:00 – Guided trips depart
- 11:00 – AIARE demonstration; Airbag demo; Uphill how-to clinic
- 1:00 – Guided trips depart; AIARE demonstration; Uphill how-to clinic
- 3:00 – AIARE demonstration; Airbag demo; Uphill how-to clinic
- 5:00 – Party and raffle at the Last Chance Lodge (Saturday only)